The next time you send out an email to your household, prepare a trip online, or send out an image of your newborn to your parents, you might wish to tip your hat to technology. Innovation, and its use, is an integral part of our everyday lives. It is so prevalent, we would be hard-pressed to live in a world without it.
When Sandra Johnson was young, she believed an engineer was an individual who owned a train. A few years later on, she became the very first black female in the United States to earn a Ph.D. in electrical engineering. Now a Chief Innovation Officer and Senior citizen Technical Team member for IBM’s Systems & Technology Group, Dr. Johnson believes it is crucial for black households to incorporate innovation into their every day lives. “There are any number of factors blacks can’t live without innovation,” Dr. Johnson says. Here are her top 5:
1) Technology Levels the Playing Field: From small and medium-size organisations to visual, literary and recording artists, to details dissemination-technology brings the world to our fingertips. This offers an unique advantage to members of the black community who have actually typically encountered obstacles to success in these and other areas. Technology levels the playing field, so that black voices can be heard, black offerings can be marketed and creativity and development can flourish.
2) Economic Empowerment: Technology makes it possible for blacks to do some incredible things at the click of a mouse. They can purchase practically anything, pay bills, strategy getaways, purchase entertainment, wine and dine at minimized cost and utilize online services to find the very best banking services.
3) Reinforces Family Ties: For numerous who are not living in physical distance to their closest relatives, innovation enables them to communicate regularly in a cost-efficient manner. They can exchange photographs, share videos, send out e-cards, text and call from one place to another at a fraction of exactly what the expense was simply a few years back.
4) Professions in Technology Are Remarkable: A career in a technology-related field can be exceptionally satisfying. It can likewise enhance your quality of life. Technology skills are unique and in short supply, the work is exciting and rewarding and the financial benefits are fairly high.
5) Great Futures for Your Children: Through innovation, the world is literally at your kids’s doorstep. Innovation enhances the education of black children. Just picture exactly what might happen if black children spent time creating or enhancing games for the Xbox 360 and PS2, or used their resourcefulness to create videos, movies, music and literary works. The possibilities and opportunities related to innovation are unlimited.
Inning accordance with Dr. Johnson, there are a number of programs offered, consisting of Black Family Technology Awareness Week, that provide technology access and training. “If America is to keep its competitive advantage,” she says, “we need to motivate our children to join the next generation of innovators, scientists and engineers, and our adults to construct and enhance their technology skills.”